Thursday, October 25, 2007

Librarians Invade Vicksburg


Had a GREAT time at the Library Convention despite the dreary weather. Cold and wet. Celisa and I had a room with a great view of the MS River for what that's worth. It sounds much more glamorous that it was. Too bad I didn't think to get a picture to post.

Heard Robert St. John speak at breakfast on Thursday. He was a fantastic speaker. His tales about his childhood brought back memories of my own - Daddy's whistle, dogs I've loved, and great southern food (cornbread, fried okra, fried squash, fried anything). His cookbooks sound yummy. Here's his site if your interested in a list of books or just more about him. http://www.robertstjohn.com/

I sat in on part of the Technical Services Management session and got the title of a book that I plan to ILL - Staffing for Results: A guide to working smarter by Diane Mayo & Jeanne Goodrich.

At lunch on Thursday I heard David Lee King speak on web 2.0 and library 2.0. I jotted down a few ideas that came to me during this session of how to promote our system. (i.e. putting pics. of branch library's art on Flickr, fliers or something in Java John's with library's website, facebook & myspace pages, maybe an IM link on OPAC for reference questions). I like his techie toolbox idea. http://www.davidleeking.com/

Thanks to Melissa Wright & Teresa Welsh of USM for the hands on training with wikis and podcasts. I plan to explore using these further.

I encourage those librarians who did not attend this year to consider going in 2008. It will be in Natchez. Not only is the convention fun but I find it motivational.

No comments: